Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LATEST C-J SPORTS
LATEST VIDEOS

U of L football Q&A with beat writer Jeff Greer

JeffGreerJeffGreer LouisvillePosts: 56C-J Staffer ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, Jeff here. Let's do a Louisville football Q&A today. Start filing your questions or comments now and I'll be back at 1 p.m. to sift through and answer them. Don't be shy!

Comments

• JeffGreerJeffGreer LouisvillePosts: 56C-J Staffer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a question from Twitter just now that we can tackle on here:

@sepatterson17 3m
    @jeffgreer_cj who's the 5 o- line starters when canes come to town ?
  • TonyMontanaTonyMontana Morehead, Ky.Posts: 1,332Member, Moderator mod
    Grantham seems to have the questionable issue at safety solved by juggling some talented guys around, but how will the d-line hold up in the new 3-4 scheme?
    Cremation is the only way I'll ever have a smoking hot body.
    @DimitrovPavlovs 3m
    @jeffgreer_cj like to get his or university's take on maryland's guaranteed scholarship initiative.
    @ChrisLSL 3m
    @jeffgreer_cj what do you expect the role of griffin uhl to be this year? I know he had a couple monster blocks last year before injury.
  • bigbroncbigbronc Bowling GreenPosts: 5Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, you have three women you can invite to dinner. Who do you invite and where do you go?
  • Alan_ZukofAlan_Zukof Louisville, KYPosts: 276Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you see the offense performing with Will Gardner at the controls?
    Kentuckian by birth, Cardinal by divine grace....
  • Creig_EwingCreig_Ewing LouisvillePosts: 13C-J Staffer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Do you think newspaper reporters should vote for players of the week in the ACC?
    Post edited by Creig_Ewing on
  • JonathanLintnerJonathanLintner LouisvillePosts: 461Administrator, Moderator, C-J Staffer admin
    Are you a Qdoba or Chipotle guy?

Grantham seems to have the questionable issue at safety solved by juggling some talented guys around, but how will the d-line hold up in the new 3-4 scheme?

I think you're right - Terell Floyd moving there and the emergence of Gerod Holliman gives Louisville good safeties to start. James Sample will give a big boost off the bench and could end up starting at some point.

To me, the D-line is the weakest spot on the team. DeAngelo Brown is a very talented DT, but he's small and coming off an injury. Pio Vatuvei will give good depth, and they tried Nick Dawson at end as a backup rush guy. Those two could be solid. But depth, to me, is still an issue. DuBose and Rankins are versatile guys.
    JeffGreer said:

Got a question from Twitter just now that we can tackle on here:

@sepatterson17 who's the 5 o- line starters when canes come to town ?

I know Petrino doesn't use traditional LT, LG, C, RG, RT descriptions, but for clarity's sake, we will here. I'll say LT - Jamon Brown; LG - John Miller; C - Tobijah Hughley; RG - Jake Smith; RT - Kelby Johnson.

JeffGreer said:

@DimitrovPavlovs 3m
    @jeffgreer_cj like to get his or university's take on maryland's guaranteed scholarship initiative.

Asked Tom Jurich about that yesterday ... He said U of L has a degree-completion program for its student-athletes, though I don't know the details of that off the top of my head, and any more plans to do with that would be up to his son, Mark, who's in charge of fundraising.
    JeffGreer said:

@ChrisLSL 3m
    @jeffgreer_cj what do you expect the role of griffin uhl to be this year? I know he had a couple monster blocks last year before injury.

I don't anticipate that there's a big one for him. There's a ton of talent at running back, a lot of talent at tight end, and the times I've seen them switch to using a fullback, they used Lamar Atkins and even LJ Scott. I'd guess it'll be special teams.
    bigbronc said:

Jeff, you have three women you can invite to dinner. Who do you invite and where do you go?

Oh boy. Don't get me in trouble now. I mean, if it's people I know, I'd say my girlfriend Samantha, my sister and my mom. They're all funny and entertaining.

It's a celebrity/famous/historic-type scenario, I'd say ... Maya Angelou, Harriet Tubman and either Rosa Parks or Eleanor Roosevelt.

How do you see the offense performing with Will Gardner at the controls?

I like Will. He comes across as a good kid who's smart and coachable on the field and affable and thoughtful off it. I think he'll do well this year, and I've never, ever questioned that he's the starting quarterback. Anybody suggesting otherwise is trying to make a story out of very little.

Do you think newspaper reporters should vote for players of the week in the ACC?

Oh, stir the pot, why don't you? I think if you want the most objective and the most thorough reports on your teams and the league they play in, you will get that here. I certainly don't have a dog in this fight and I have no agenda. I just go in every day with an open mind and try to be as honest and fair as possible, while asking questions and trying to keep a public institution honest with taxpayers, even with sports.

You couldn't pay me to eat Qdoba.

• JonathanLintnerJonathanLintner LouisvillePosts: 461Administrator, Moderator, C-J Staffer admin
    JeffGreer said:

You couldn't pay me to eat Qdoba.

Time for me to turn on the "Thumbs Down" feature.
  • Creig_EwingCreig_Ewing LouisvillePosts: 13C-J Staffer ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one college coach with you, who would it be?
    Two minutes to play, your team is down six. Who do you want at QB?

If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one college coach with you, who would it be?

For entertainment purposes, probably Ol' Ball Coach. For usefulness, I'll let Belichick come with and handle all the planning. I'll be the grunt.

College: Famous Jameis.

Pro: Tom Brady.

• bigbroncbigbronc Bowling GreenPosts: 5Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    JeffGreer said:

bigbronc said:

Oh boy. Don't get me in trouble now. I mean, if it's people I know, I'd say my girlfriend Samantha, my sister and my mom. They're all funny and entertaining.

It's a celebrity/famous/historic-type scenario, I'd say ... Maya Angelou, Harriet Tubman and either Rosa Parks or Eleanor Roosevelt.

Which of those two groups is better looking?
    JeffGreer said:

Alltime?
    @AndrewBeeler1 6m
    @jeffgreer_cj what can we expect from Harris and Milton this year from the WR position
    I think you'll see Harris used underneath a bit, if he stays healthy. Milton had a back scare during the scrimmage two Mondays ago, but then he and Reggie Bonnafon connected on the play of the scrimmage on Saturday. He can be a deep threat and has good size for red-zone targets.
    bigbronc said:

JeffGreer said:

bigbronc said:

Which of those two groups is better looking?
    Loaded questions, man. Wow. Obviously my personal group!

JeffGreer said:

Alltime?
    Still Brady all-time. College ... I'm from a newer, younger generation, so you wouldn't go wrong with Cammy Cam, Charlie Ward or Tebow.
    Last call for questions!
    JeffGreer said:

JeffGreer said:

Alltime?
    Still Brady all-time. College ... I'm from a newer, younger generation, so you wouldn't go wrong with Cammy Cam, Charlie Ward or Tebow.
    I'm older -- I'm a Unitas guy. College alltime, Joe Montana.

JeffGreer said:

JeffGreer said:

Alltime?
    I'm older -- I'm a Unitas guy. College alltime, Joe Montana.
    Cannot go wrong with either of those two. Both would be in my final 5 or so for that question.
    All right, folks. Thanks for playing along. Writing about Matt Milton today. Be good.