Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LATEST C-J SPORTS
LATEST VIDEOS

Q&A with UK beat writer Kyle Tucker

Kyle_TuckerKyle_Tucker Lexington, KYPosts: 55C-J Staffer ✭✭✭✭✭
Basketball is just back from the Bahamas and football kicks off in nine days. There's plenty to talk about with the Cats, so fire away with your questions and I'll be back here at 2 p.m. to start answering. We hope you like our new forum for you, the fans, to have a voice. I'll be dropping in regularly to interact/answer questions/link to our coverage. Join us, won't you?

Comments

• TonyMontanaTonyMontana Morehead, Ky.Posts: 256Member, Moderator mod
    Who, amongst Stoops recruits, will be starting on both sides of the ball in UK's opener?
    Love is grand. Divorce is a couple of hundred grand.
  • koreybleedsbluekoreybleedsblue Woodruff, SCPosts: 1Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts on Freshman WR Blake Bone... Playing Time, Impact...
    thanks
  • bigbroncbigbronc Bowling GreenPosts: 5Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21
    Off topic here, but given your WKU ties, I'm interested to know if you think Jeff Brohm will have a more illustrious career than Harry Allen?
    Post edited by bigbronc on
  • FrankFrank Frankfort KyPosts: 17Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 quality RB's. Redshirt a true freshman or is Clemons' injury history reason to play both Williams and Horton?
    Will Pat Towles be the Game 4 starter? Given need to win, but also develop at other positions, how critical should fans be of his early performance?
    Sorry Kyle, I'll try not to flood this board, but thanks for this opportunity.
  • Kyle_TuckerKyle_Tucker Lexington, KYPosts: 55C-J Staffer ✭✭✭✭✭

Who, amongst Stoops recruits, will be starting on both sides of the ball in UK's opener?

Counting JUCO guys, I'll say newcomers who start Week 1 are WR Dorian Baker and S A.J. Stamps. But all the freshman receivers (Bone, Johnson, Williams, Snodgrass) will play, and at least one of the backs (Horton/Boom). And JUCO LB Ryan Flannigan is gonna be in the mix sooner than later, as will DT Elam, DE Tubman and nickel Randolph.

Thoughts on Freshman WR Blake Bone... Playing Time, Impact...
    thanks

I thought -- and I think the coaches did as well, initially -- he was too skinny to help a lot right away. But he keeps making plays. Coaches keep mentioning him. He's 6-4, tallest receiver they have, and adept at coming down with jump balls. He and Baker add something UK just didn't have in its passing game last year.
    bigbronc said:

Off topic here, but given your WKU ties, I'm interested to know if you think Jeff Brohm will have a more illustrious career than Harry Allen?

No one will ever be a bigger deal at WKU than Harry Bryan. Coolest professor that ever lived. Also: I think Brohm will be great there -- and then great somewhere else.
    Starting DT's as of today are Lewis and Douglas. This surprise you? Who are the next two in your opinion?
    Frank said:

4 quality RB's. Redshirt a true freshman or is Clemons' injury history reason to play both Williams and Horton?

Frank, appreciate your interest. Great question. Clemons is a tank, and he's worked so absurdly hard to get back on the field for the first time since Week 6 of the ... 2011 season. That's crazy. I think the staff wants to see him be a factor and will give him a chance. That said, Horton is like a fully healthy Clemons and Boom Williams is fairly electric. At least one plays, and the way the SEC is, decent chance both do.
    Frank said:

Will Pat Towles be the Game 4 starter? Given need to win, but also develop at other positions, how critical should fans be of his early performance?

I think so. Unless he's horrible early, you gotta give Towles time to settle into being the starter, settle into running this offense, and to develop some timing and chemistry with a very young group of receivers. They are lucky to have a soft opening (in theory) to get his confidence up. Doesn't really matter how critical I say fans *should* be of Towles' early performance. They're gonna pick it apart. They want to see this "Air Raid" fly, and if it doesn't, the calls for Phillips and (more likely) Barker will start in a hurry. I imagine the staff will have more patience.
    Frank said:

Flood away. We want you here. Sharing your thoughts, venting your frustrations, interacting with your fellow fans. Tell me what a crap job I'm doing. This is your space.

Frank said:

Flood away. We want you here. Sharing your thoughts, venting your frustrations, interacting with your fellow fans. Tell me what a crap job I'm doing. This is your space.
    LOL!!! You guys at the CJ all do a great job except for that Kolarik guy. (Just kidding!!)

Frank said:

Starting DT's as of today are Lewis and Douglas. This surprise you? Who are the next two in your opinion?

It does, Frankly. Get it, Frank? I'd guess the next two are Meant and Elam. Makes some sense to start out with your two most veteran guys and work in the huge, talented youngsters over time. Elam's going to play. I imagine if he was in better shape, he'd be pushing for a starting spot.
  • jaschulerjaschuler Posts: 4Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given what you've seen in person, do you feel like football is ahead, behind, or right on schedule for year 2 of a rebuild, and in terms of W/L at the end of the year do you feel any differently than say post spring practice? Thanks!
    Which SEC games are the most winnable, Vandy excluded even though the Dores have had the upper hand recently.
    @KyleTucker - It will take some time to get enough members here for a prolonged Q&A session. I'm recruiting hard for this site. Think it will be a super avenue for UofL and UK fans to banter about eventually. Love it!!!
  • JonathanLintnerJonathanLintner LouisvillePosts: 261Administrator, Moderator, C-J Staffer admin
    Simple question but...in your mind, what does Mark Stoops need to do this season to prove he's the guy or this coaching staff is any different?
    Kyle, how do you see the TE's playing this year? Seems to be a position of question. Will they be more of a FB/Slot player or in-line blockers?
    Will the Barker kid see any action under center this season?
    jaschuler said:

Given what you've seen in person, do you feel like football is ahead, behind, or right on schedule for year 2 of a rebuild, and in terms of W/L at the end of the year do you feel any differently than say post spring practice? Thanks!

Welcome, J. Talked to Stoops about this recently and I think he feels generally like his plan is right on schedule. I still think 4-8 (with some competitive losses) validates that and 5-7 is reason to get excited, with eyes on 2015 for making a run at the postseason. The talent level is way up. The defense has filled some holes (especially in the secondary) and the offense has added badly needed skill guys. So much of 2014 hinges on QB play. If it is merely average SEC-level QB play, Kentucky will look vastly improved.
    PROGRAMMING NOTE: Be sure to click on "Discussions" at the top and explore our new forum. Lots of other topics to check out and contribute to the conversation. We hope this will be a place you enjoy interacting with fellow UK fans -- maybe even (respectfully, as we're monitoring) jab your rival U of L fans.
    And a question to the crowd: What are you most interested in seeing on opening day for UK football?
    To the basketball folks: What was your No. 1 takeaway from the Bahamas?
  • jaschulerjaschuler Posts: 4Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested to see if UK is genuinely interested in upgrading the fan experience (music, etc), the rotation at RB and if they live up to the hype, and the obvious QB play.
    Dorian Baker big play ability I keep hearing about
  • KySportFanKySportFan Lexington ky KYPosts: 1Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is awesome!..My question is about Drew Barker, though disappointed do you feel his commitment to UK is strong as ever? Noticed a few minutes ago he favorited the article on Damien Harris. BBN needs to get behind ALL of these players!